Thursday, April 1, 2010

Bernice May Dixon & Roy Augustus Hinkley, Marriage Announcement, Maine 1914


Today I'm researching the genealogy behind an old wedding announcement. The Bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Dixon, announce the wedding of their daughter Bernice Mae Dixon to Roy Augustus Hinkley, Saturday, October 24, 1914, at Winthrop, Maine. The couple would be at home in Monmouth after November 3o.

I'm having trouble pinpointing the parents of Fred W. Dixon and discovering his wife's maiden name. I believe her first name was May. As for Hinkley, there is more information online, taking Roy's father's line back quite a few generations. Less luck with his mother Mary.

When I lived in a neighboring town back in the 1970s, I was amazed to find that Wales, so close to Lewiston, Maine's second largest city, had no store. That's probably changed by by now. I had some helpful farm neighbors by the name of Hinkley, so this announcement has some personal significance.

Comments and information gratefully received!

No comments:

Post a Comment