Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Poet David Barker, born 1816, Exeter, Maine



Some time ago I found an 1800s book of poetry by Maine-born David Barker but put it on the back burner because scanning an old book is time-consuming and possibly destructive to the binding.  But now, with the new Flip Pal scanner in hand, this book seemed to be a good test.  I bought the Flip Pal for old books like this, for 19th century autograph books and for other delicate items.

The image above is a likeness of David Barker, which is the frontispiece of the book.  The only image taken with my regular scanner is the book's cover, below:


Some of the poems are hilarious, some are poignant, and some concern actual people.  I'll post some of the poems in the future.

At the beginning of the book is a short biography of David Barker by Hon. John E. Godfrey, the pages of which I've scanned below, both at 300 dpi and at 600 dpi.  I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know if the 300 dpi will suffice.  Bear in mind, that I got better at scanning the farther I went along, and I did all the 300 dpi pages first, so they were the guinea pigs.   

300 dpi:



300 dpi:


600 dpi:

300 dpi:


600 dpi:


300 dpi:


600 dpi:


300 dpi:


600 dpi:


300 dpi:


600 dpi:


300 dpi:

600 dpi:


300 dpi:



600 dpi:



300 dpi:




300 dpi:



600 dpi:


The biography portion of the book is now scanned, and the book is no worse for wear, so, for me, purchasing a Flip Pal has turned out to be a good investment.  The fact that I can turn the Flip Pal over and rest it atop delicate items to scan them is terrific. My next project will be an 1800s autograph book, with pages small enough for one pass.  Even though I understand there's an easy stitching program, I'd definitely buy a larger Flip Pal, should the company develop one.

Now to the genealogy - from online research, hopefully correct:

David Barker was born 9 September 1816 in Exeter, Maine, the son of W. Nathaniel and Sarah (Pease) Barker.  I don't have any information as yet on Nathaniel's parents.  I noticed that many sources online had Nathaniel's death occurring in Exeter, Maine, but the biography above claims that he died in an accident with his team at Bangor, Maine.

Sarah (Pease) Barker was born 3 Oct 1789, in Parsonsfield, Maine, the daughter of Joseph and Ann Dolly or Polly (Clark) Pease.

Davd Barker married Susan Chase, the daughter of Timothy Chase, Esquire, of Belfast, Maine.  I found at least two children for them: Walter C. Barker, born 1857, and Maud Barker, born 1863.  David Barker died at the home of his brother Mark on 14 September 1874.  His wife and two children survived him.

If you have any corrections, additions or insights regarding the information presented above, please leave a comment or contact me directly.

Thanks for stopping by.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment