Tuesday, January 11, 2011

1895 Cabinet Photo of Harry C. Johnson & woman IDed as H. G. S.; Denver, Colorado studio


Cabinet photo, dated 1895, of Harry C. Johnson and a woman identified as H. G. S., taken by the Brooks studio of 926 Sixteenth Street, Denver, Colorado.


Identification: H. G. S., H. C. J. 1895.  My cousin Harry Johnson, son of Uncle Peter and Aunt "Em".


From online research, hopefully correct:


Harry C. Johnson was born in July of 1874 in Colorado, the son of Peter Johnson, born in Pennsylvania, and his wife Emma, born in New York.  I don't yet have information on Harry's grandparents.


It appears that Harry married and divorced between the 1900 and 1910 Censuses.  As to who H. G. S. was, I don't know if she was a girlfriend, perhaps the woman who later became his wife, or a relative, possibly the cousin who wrote the identification.


Harry was working in real estate advertising in the 1910 Census of Denver, Colorado.  I haven't yet found him in a later Census.


I found this photograph with another one of a Horace Johnson, but I don't know if there is a family relationship or just a coincidence that the photographs were together when I bought them.  I'm including that photo, below, but be aware it may have no relationship to Harry C. Johnson, born in Colorado in 1874.   



Notice that the photograph was taken by Johnson of Brownville.  Is there a Brownville in Colorado?   I found a Brownsville, but this is definitely Brownville.


There is a Brownville in Maine, not far from where I purchased the photos, and I did find a Horace Johnson living there in the 1920 Census, along with wife Nettie and sons Raynard and Stewart.  He was born about 1873 in Canada and, in 1895, married Nettie C. Stickney, born about 1872 in Maine.   He was working as a rural mail carrier.


Wouldn't it be a hoot if the woman in the photo with Harry, H. G. S., was a Stickney, and there was a relationship between Harry and Horace after all?  


If you have any corrections, additions or insights regarding Harry C. Johnson or H. G. S., or if you think there's a connection between Harry and Horace, please leave a comment or contact me directly.


Thanks for stopping by!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment