Saturday, June 16, 2012

c1910 Photograph of Hazel Gladys Keyes; Belfast, Maine studio


Note of December 1, 2015: As you can see in the comments section, a reader feels that the young lady is Hazel Gladys Keyes, who married Herbert Ellison Gray.

c1910 photograph of a woman identified on reverse as Hazel Keyes.  The photograph was taken by a studio in Belfast, Maine.



She was likely Hazel Gladys Keyes, who was born about January 1893 at Old Town, Maine, daughter of Elmer and Isabella (Neil) Keyes and sister of Margaret Esther Keyes, whose photograph is the subject of another post.  

I wonder if Hazel had been attending Eastern State Normal School at Castine, Maine, at the time of the photograph.  I have other photographs of students there taken by a Belfast, Maine photographer, who presumably traveled to Castine for the sittings, most likely by boat, which was a logical way of traveling the indented coast of Maine in those days. 

On 11 January 1913, Hazel married Herbert Ellison Gray, son of Herbert Oliver Gray and his first wife Sarah Emeline (Robbins) Gray.

Sadly, Hazel died not long after her marriage, on 2 January 1919.

If you have further information or if you feel that the Hazel Keyes in the photograph is not Hazel Gladys Keyes, please leave a comment or contact me directly.

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am now 68 years old and this is the first time I have laid my eyes on my Mom's mom! My mom was Esther Hannigan (nee. Gray)
    The circa must have been closer to 1910 I suspect.
    How utterly wonderful to have found this!
    John Hannigan


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, John, that's amazing! Now you know why I do what I do. Thanks for the clarification on the approximate date of the photograph - will amend the post.

      Delete