Monday, August 13, 2012

1828 Will of John Weeman of Standish, Maine


10 September 1828 will of John Weeman of Standish, Maine. 



Proved and recorded on 2 November 1829.









Transcript: [I put the names in bold.]

In the Name of God amen, I, John Weeman of Standish in the County of Cumberland and State of Maine being far advanced in life, though of sound mind and memory, considering the great uncertainty of all human affairs, do make, ordain and declare this instrument by men subscribed this tenth day of September in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty eight to e my last will and testament, hereby revoking all others.  First
To my beloved wife Esther Weeman, I give a decent support in sickness and in health so long as she remains my widow; also one cow for her own proper use and disposal. 2nd. To my sons Obadiah and Joseph Weeman their heirs and assigns forever, I give all my real estate situated in Standish, and is bounded on Saco river - Eliphalet Parker and others, whereas I have lived more than twenty years last past, they the said Obadiah & Joseph paying or causing to be paid my just debts and the several legacies provided for in this will.  I also give them the said Obadiah and Joseph all personal estate of every kind after the death of their mother - and also the free use with her of all furniture in the house; and the cow herein given to my wife is to be well kept winter and summer by the said Obadiah and Joseph.  3rd.  To my daughter Abigail Merrill I give one dollar.  To my daughter Anne White I give one dollar.  To my son Edward Weeman I give one dollar.  To my son Benjamin Weeman I give one dollar.  To my son Ebenezer Weeman, I give one dollar.  To my son John Weeman I give one dollar.  To my two daughters Hannah and Frances I give one cow each, and a home in my house so long as they remain single.  And I hereby direct that the several legacies in this will shall be paid in one year after my decease.  And I do hereby appoint my beloved wife the sole Executrix of this will.  
Signed, sealed, published and declared by the said John Weeman to be his last will and testament in presence of us, who at his request and in his presence, have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses.
                   John Weeman (seal)
William Tompson, James Benson, Thaddeus Nason
proved and recorded, November 3, 1829.
A true Copy of record
Attest Horatio Southgate Register


From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections welcome]

John Weeman was born about 1750 at Cape Elizabeth, Maine, son of Valentine Weeman. On 12 September 1772, John married Betsey Small and had, I believe, five children with her. Betsey died about 1800.

On 20 Febuary 1804, John married Esther Davis, the Esther mentioned in his will. I don't know if Davis was her maiden name. John and Esther also had, I believe, five children.

From online sources, it appears that John incorrectly spelled the surnames of his daughter's husbands. Abigail Weeman married Thomas Morrill. Anna Weeman married Virgil Wight.

If you have any corrections or additions to the scant information above, or information on the Weeman family and the families of Witnesses William Tompson, James Benson and Thaddeus Nason and Regr. Horatio Southgate, please leave a comment or contact me directly.

Standish, Maine


View Larger Map


Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment