1880s autograph album of Nellie F. Barker of Bangor, Maine.
The album is approximately 5-1/4" x 3-1/4" and contains 24 pages signed by Nellie herself, her relatives and friends. An alphabetical list of the signers appears at the end of this post.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections welcome]
Nellie F. Barker was born about 1869 at Bangor, Maine, the daughter of Thomas Allway Barker and Frances "Fanny" (Gullifer) Barker, who were both born at Bangor, Maine.
I believe the page below was signed by Nellie's mother.
Nellie's brother Ira W. Webb also signed a page.
Nellie was a teacher before her marriage, on 3 October 1893 at Bangor, Maine, to Edward Colby Wood, son of Kimball W. and Emma W. (Colby) Wood. He was born about May 1867.
Sadly, Nellie died of diptheria on 30 December 1898 shortly before her 30th birthday.
Several people who called themselves relatives signed pages in Nellie's album.
E. L. Ingalls signed a page at Bangor, Maine, in 1883. He may have been Edward L. Ingalls or Enoch L. Ingalls who married Nellie's mother's older sister Clerinda.
Nellie's cousin E. L. Austin of Milford, Maine, signed a page.
Nellie's cousin Lillie F. Pomroy of Bangor, Maine, signed a page in 1883. Nellie's mother Frances (Gulliver) Barker had an older sister Margaret who married Daniel Kilby Pomroy and had three children, including Lillie.
It's possible that some of the other signers may have been relatives as well. For instance, F. Souther may have been Frank Souther, son of Nellie's maternal aunt Mary Ann (Gullifer) Souther and husband Timothy, if Frank spent any time at New Haven, Connecticut.
If you have corrections to the information above or additional information on the the Barker, Gullifer and Wood families or on any of the signers below, please leave a comment or contact me directly.
Complete list of the signers in Nellie's album, in alphabetical order (names within a specific surname may not be in alpha order]
- Bessie ?
- Lilia E. Abbott of Bangor, Maine, 1883
- E. L. Austin of Milford, Maine; Nellie's cousin
- Nellie F. Barker of Bangor, Maine, signed two pages, one in 1882; album owner
- I. W. Barker of Bangor, Maine; Nellie's brother Ira W. Barker
- Fannie Barker; Nellie's mother
- Flora E. Barnes of Bangor, Maine, 1883; Nellie's schoolmate
- Eva Coffin
- Enya J. Coffin of Bangor, Maine
- Mannie P. Hasty of Bangor, Maine, 1883
- E. L. Ingalls, signed at Bangor, Maine, 1883; Nellie's uncle; perhaps Enoch L. Ingalls or Edward L. Ingalls who married Nellie's maternal aunt Clerinda Gullifer
- Hannah Kennedy of Alton, Maine
- Louise M. Lombard of Bangor, Maine
- Lillie F. Pomroy of Bangor, Maine, 1883; cousin; daughter of Daniel Kilby Pomroy and wife Margaret (Gullifer) Pomroy, Nellie's maternal aunt
- Carrie E. Reed of Bucksport, Maine, 1884
- F. Souther of New Haven, Connecticut, 1883
- Eva B. Sterns of Bangor, Maine, 1886
- Alice C. Sterns, signed at Bangor, Maine, in 1885
- Arrie M. Stone of Bangor, Maine, 1883
- Lillian G. Strout of Bangor, Maine, 1887
- Mabel Strout of Bangor, Maine, 1887
- Miss Ida May Wing