1870s/1880s autograph album of Emma Florence Lord of New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
The album is approximately 7" x 4-1/4" and contains 23 pages signed by Emma herself, her relatives, friends and schoolmates. An alphabetical list of the signers appears at the end of this post.
As the title of the album implies, there are pages with illustrations of different flora interspersed throughout the album. Some signers used those pages to leave their sentiments.
From online research, hopefully correct, and hopefully with the correct Emma F. Lord: [corrections and additions welcome!]
Emma Florence Lord was born 9 September 1863 at Freedom, New Hampshire, the daughter of Albion and Orinda (Fowler) Lord, who were also Freedom, New Hampshire, natives.
Emma's paternal grandparents were William and Betsey (Moulton) Lord. Her maternal grandparents were Stephen and Sarah (Mills) Fowler.
At some point, Emma's parents moved their family to Charlestown, Massachusetts. The signers in Emma's autograph album seemed to consist mainly of her schoolmates in Charlestown and Boston. Charlestown is a part of Boston.
On 15 June 1887 at Boston, Massachusetts, Emma married John Jacob Bradbury, son of Albion and Elizabeth Liscomb (Wentworth) Bradbury, who were born at Limerick, Maine, and Acton, Maine, respectively. John was born 18 January 1857 at Limerick, Maine.
John and Emma settled at Somerville, Massachusetts, where John was a merchant, and raised at least two children, daughters Katherine and Elizabeth.
If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, or on any of the signers listed below, please leave a comment or contact me directly. Thanks!
Hattie S. Furbush of Portland, Maine, signed a page at Freedom, New Hampshire, on 22 August 1878. She called herself Emma's cousin.
Two other people named Furbush signed pages in Emma's album. Ida E. Furbush signed a page on 27 August 1878.
E. W. Furbush signed a page at Freedom, New Hampshire, in the summer of 1878.
I'm wondering if the grandchildren of William and Betsey (Moulton) Lord and/or Stephen and Sarah (Mills) Fowler were in the habit of spending vacation time at Freedom, New Hampshire.
E. F. Chaffee of Boston, Massachusetts, signed a page on 7 July 1878. He mentioned the street address 435 Main Street. I'm not sure what the initials "B. H. D." represent. He may have been the Emory Franklin Chaffee who became a Somerville, Massachusetts, druggist and real estate developer. One of Emma's paternal great aunts married a William Chaffee, so E. F. may have been a related to Emma's family in some way.
Here is an example of an illustrated page, signed by Annie M. McGowan of Boston, Massachusetts, on 17 June 1877.
Alphabetical list of the signers in Emma's album: [Note, given names within a specific surname may not be in alphabetical order.]
- Ada E.Bowler of Charlestown, Massachusetts, signed on 27 June 1880
- Edna E. Buck of Boston, Massachusetts, signed on 24 June 1878
- E. F. Chaffee, signed at B. H. D. at Boston, Massachusetts, on 7 July 1878; No. 435 Main St.
- Katie F. Cole of Boston, Massachusetts, signed on 3 June 1878
- George L. Cushman of Charlestown, Massachusetts, signed on 5 March 1882
- J. I. Fogg of Boston, Massachusetts, signed on 19 June 1878
- Georgia R. Fowler of Boston, Massachusetts, signed on 4 June 1878
- Ida E. Furbush, signed on 27 August 1878
- E. W. Furbush, Summer of 1878, Freedom, New Hampshire
- Your cousin, Hattie S. Furbush of Portland, Maine, signed at Freedom, New Hampshire, on 22 August 1878
- Nellie E. Hall of Boston, Massachusetts, signed on 1 June 1878
- Emma F. Lord; album owner Emma Florence Lord, who later married John Jacob Bradbury
- Katie McDonald of Boston, Massachusetts, signed on 4 June 1878
- Annie M. McGowan of Boston, Massachusetts, signed on 17 June 1877
- Alice A. Miller of Charlestown, Massachusetts, signed on 20 June 1878
- Alice G. Noah of Boston, Massachusetts, signed on 5 June 1878
- A. C. Noah of Boston, Massachusetts, signed on 18 June 1878
- Marion E. Prime of Boston, Massachusetts, signed on 24 June 1878
- M. Rodden, signed on 12 June 1878
- Sarah A. Smith
- N. Wheaton Smith of Boston, Massachusetts
- W. W. White of Boston, Massachusetts, signed at B. H. School on 18 June 1878. Boston High School?
- Esther Worcester of Boston, Massachusetts, signed on 13 March 1879
Freedom, New Hampshire
View Larger Map
Thanks for stopping by!