1890s autograph album of Mabel C. Graves of Sandwich, New Hampshire.
Mabel inscribed her name on the inside front cover.
The album is approximately 7-1/2" x 5", with thickly padded fabric covers and contains 32 pages signed by Mabel herself, her relatives and friends. An alphabetical list of the signers appears at the end of this post.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections and additions welcome!]
Mabel C. Graves was born about March 1879 in New Hampshire, the daughter of Aubrey M. and Sarah Louise (Sanborn) Graves, who were born at Sandwich, New Hampshire, and Tamworth, New Hampshire, respectively.
Mabel's paternal grandparents were Ross C. and Dorthy A. Dolly (Vittum) Graves. [Two people named Vittum signed pages in Mabel's album.]
Mabel's maternal grandparents were Joseph Dana Sanborn and Louisa (Rote) Sanborn.
On 5 December 1914, Mabel married Henry Aloysius Boyle, son of Irish immigrants Patrick and Catherine Boyle. Henry was born at Boston, Massachusetts, on 5 October 1882.
According to "The Vittum Folks", written by Edmund March Vittum and Linnie Bean Page, published in 1922, Henry and Mabel farmed at Moultonboro, New Hampshire, and ran a boarding house in the summer. They had no children.
The book mentioned that Mabel's parents had also boarded tourists at their farm on the south side of Vittum Hill.
Minnie Tappan signed a page on 8 June 1894 and indicated that she was Mabel's cousin. Her mother, Abbie Faye (Graves) Tappan and Mabel's father, Aubrey M. Graves, were cousins.
Another Tappan called herself, or himself, Mabel's cousin. This was Edd Tappan of Sandwich, New Hampshire, who signed a page on 12 June 1894.
Daniel V. Graves sketched a bird. He may have been Daniel Vittum Graves, younger brother of Mabel's father Aubrey M. Graves.
If you have corrections to the information above or additions to it, please leave a comment or contact me directly. Thanks!
Alphabetical list of signers in Mabel's album [Note: given names within a specific surname may not be in alphabetical order.]
- Mary Bishop of 14 Northern Avenue, Lynn, Massachusetts
- Alice Maud Blanchard
- Walter E. Blanchard of Sandwich, New Hampshire, signed on 28 February 1894
- Bessie Blanchard of Sandwich Lower [Corner ?], New Hampshire, signed on 19 June 1894
- Mrs. Clara F. Blanchard of Sandwich, New Hampshire, signed on 23 May 1894
- Edna B. Castle of Somersworth, New Hampshire
- Winnie F. Castle of Somersworth, New Hampshire
- Gertrude Cherevoy, signed at Haverhill, Massachusetts, on 29 September 1895
- Florence A. Clark of East Sandwich, New Hampshire
- A. J. Clark of South Tamworth, New Hampshire, signed 15 January 1894
- A. E. Corliss of North Sandwich, New Hampshire, signed 28 June 1894
- Bennie F. Corliss of North Sandwich, New Hampshire
- Nellie E. Dearborn of Sandwich, New Hampshire, signed 16 January 1894
- Dora Dearborn of Sandwich, New Hampshire, signed on 16 January 1894
- Florence B. Dearborn of Sandwich, New Hampshire, signed 16 January 1894
- George W. Eaton and Mrs. Jennie Eaton of Haverhill, Massachusetts; they shared a page.
- Grace M. Frye of Sandwich, New Hampshire, signed on 9 June 1894
- Mabel C. Graves of Sandwich, New Hampshire; album owner
- Daniel V. Graves; sketch of bird
- Maud L. Mitchell
- Bertie L. Randall of Haverhill, Massachusetts, signed 11 August 1894
- Hiram M. Sanborn of Lower Bartlett, New Hampshire, signed 26 February 1894
- Minnie Tappan, signed 8 June 1894; Mabel's cousin
- Edd Tappan of Sandwich, New Hampshire, signed on 12 June 1894; Mabel's cousin
- J. Louie Thom of Haverhill, Massachusetts, signed on 9 October 1893
- Mrs. Isabel C. Thom of Haverhill, Massachusetts, signed 12 October, 1895. Also has signature of C. R. Thom, her husband Clinton R. Thom
- Eva F. Thom, signed 16 October 1894
- Charlie P. Tilton; fancy sketch of a bird
- Allen L. Vittum
- Martha E. Vittum of Sandwich, New Hampshire, signed on 14 November 1893
- Urban A. Wallace, signed at Lower Corner, Spring 1894
- ? Paul Wentworth of Sandwich, New Hampshire, signed on 8 June 1894; not sure of leading initial
- Lanella B. Wood of Seabrooke, New Hampshire, signed on 17 October 1893