1890s/1900s autograph album that belonged to Ellen Louise Hughes of Castleton, Vermont.
The album is approximately 7" x 4-1/2" and contains over 25 pages signed by Ellen herself, her grandmother, parents and friends. An alphabetical list of the signers appears at the end of this post.
The album was presented by Ellen by her grandmother. Thismight have been her maternal grandmother, Sylvia Diana (Price) White, who was living with Ellen's family at the time of the 1900 Census of Castleton, Vermont.
Ellen inscribed the next page to those who would be leaving sentiments in her album.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections and additions welcome!]
Ellen Louise Hughes was born 29 September 1888 at Fair Haven, Vermont, the daughter of Henry Ellis Hughes and Sarah Lenita (White) Hughes, who were born at Fair Haven, Vermont, and in New York respectively.
Ellen's parents signed facing pages in her album. Her mother's page contained only the word Mamma.
Ellen's father, Henry E. Hughes, signed at Castleton, Vermont, on 5 October 1901.
Some of the signers in Ellen's album indicated they were fellow students at Castleton Normal School at Castleton, Vermont. So it fits that in the 1910 Census of Castleton, Vermont, Ellen's occupation is listed as teacher.
On 3 July 1913 at Castleton, Vermont, Ellen married Roscoe Charles Hunter, son of Thomas and Maria Hunter. They farmed at Castleton. If they had children, I didn't find a reference to them.
If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, please leave a comment or contact me directly. Thanks!
Alphabetical list of the signers in Ellen's album: [Note: given names within a specific surname may not be in alphabetical order.]
- Page of writing, unsigned
- Mable Bartholomew of Castleton Corners, Vermont, signed on 28 April, 1902
- H. Raymond Bartholomew of Hydeville, Vermont
- Alma W. Bruce of Castleton, Vermont, signed 13 November 1897. This page was signed earlier than that of Ellen Louise Hughes' inscription page
- Della M. Carpenter of East Charlotte, Vermont, "your C. N S. schoolmate", possibly Castleton Normal School
- Margaret Davis, signed on 26 March 1905
- Elizabeth Davis, signed 17 March 1905; page is full of writing
- Margaret Denton of Castleton, Vermont, signed on 27 September 1900
- John Dunlap, signed on 28 April 1902
- Miss Kittie Eagan of Castleton, Vermont, signed 18 November 1897
- Stella Rachel Foote of East Charlotte, Vermont, signed on 28 March 1905; page is full of writing
- Laura Hall, signed on 28 April 1902
- John A. Hall
- "Ellen L. Hughes from Grandma". This was a present to Ellen Louise Hughes of Castleton, Vermont, from her grandmother. This might have been her maternal grandmother, Sylvia Diana (Price) White, who was living with Ellen's family at the time of the 1900 Census of Castleton, Vermont.
- Page inscribed by Ellen L. Hughes on 11 May 1901 to the future signers in her album.
- Mamma. Presumably this was signed by Ellen's mother, Sarah Lenita (White) Hughes. Ellen's father signed the facing page.
- Henry E. Hughes, signed at Castleton, Vermont, on 5 October 1901; Ellen's father. The facing page was signed by "Mamma"
- Marion Niles of Pownal, Vermont, signed on 3 May 1905; "your friend at the C. N. S.", presumably Castleton Normal School
- Ada J. Pettee of Castleton Corners, Vermont, signed 28 April 1902
- Ada M. Roberts of Hortonville, Vermont, C.N.S., possibly Castleton Normal School. "Man's love is like Scottish snuff; Take one pinch and that's enough."
- J. B. Snow of Whale, New York, signed in 1905
- Julia A. Stevenson of Rutland, Vermont, signed on 2 October 1894. Another page that was signed earlier than Ellen's own inscription page.
- Gertrude Wade, signed at Albany, New York, on 24 September 1901
- Florence G. Williams of Whiting, Vermont, "One of your C. N. S. friends", presumably Castleton Normal School
View Larger Map
Thanks for stopping by!