1880s autograph album of Ida F. Arnold of Hickorytown, Pennsylvania, near Carlisle.
The album is approximately 7" x 4-1/4" and contains 39 pages signed by Ida herself, her relatives and friends. An alphabetical list of the signers appears at the end of this post. Many of the signers appear to be related, either to Ida or to her husband William S. Sponsler.
Included in the album is a four page handwritten document, presumably written by Ida, as her name appears to be written in the handwriting as Ida's handwriting on the ownership page.
From online research, hopefully correct and hopefully with the correct Ida F. Arnold: [corrections and additions welcome!]
Ida F. Arnold was born about 1862 in Pennsylvania. I believe her parents were Solomon Arnold and, perhaps, Barbara (?) Arnold. Ida's brother Edward and Arnold signed pages in her album.
Ida's brother Edward Arnold of Hickorytown, Pennsylvania, signed a page on 4 April 1884.
Ida's brother Albert Arnold of Hickorytown, Pennsylvania, signed a page.
Ida's aunt, M. J. Dull signed a page at Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, on 4 July 1887.
If I have the correct Ida F. Arnold, she married William S. Sponsler [incorrectly indexed as Sponseller on at least one site] on 19 November 1885 in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania. He was born about September 1863, the son of Captain Joel Smith Sponsler and Anna Belle (Dull) Sponsler.
A marriage date of 1885 means that some of the autographs in Ida's album were collected after her marriage.
William S. Sponsler signed a page in Ida's album, at Stony Ridge.
The couple lived in Upper Allen and Lower Allen, Pennsylvania and had at least four children, Bertha; Emma; Anna; and Arthur.
If you have corrections and/or information on Ida F. Arnold and her family or any of the signers listed below, or if you feel that the album owner was a different Ida F. Arnold, please leave a comment or contact me directly.
Alphabetical list of signers: [Note: given names within a specific surname may not be in alphabetical order.]
- E. K., signed 6 July 1884 at Carlisle, Pennsylvania
- G. W., signed at Carlisle, Pennsylvania, on 23 May 1884
- Ida F. Arnold of Hickoryville, Pennsylvania; album owner
- Edward Arnold, signed 4 April 1884 at Hickorytown, Pennsylvania; Ida's brother
- Albert Arnold, signed at Hickorytown, Pennsylvania; Ida's brother
- Ollie M. Bender, signed at Camp Hill, Pennsylvania; she affixed a Victorian scrap
- Dollie Brennerman, signed 5 October 1884
- Alice Brennerman, signed on 7 October 1884
- Lydia J. Cramer, signed at Carlisle, Pennsylvania, on 27 June 1884
- Mrs. Barb Deitch, signed on 19 May 1884
- Sallie A. Devenney, signed on 15 June 1884
- M. J. Dull, signed at Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, on 4 July 1887; Ida's aunt
- M. J. Dull, signed at Carlisle, Pennsylvania, on 4 July 1887
- Ed A. Enck, signed at Carlisle, Pennsylvania, on 9 August 1884
- Lizzie E. Enck, signed on 9 August 1884
- Sallie A. Enck, signed on 6 August 1884
- M. K. Finkenbinder, signed at Carlisle, Pennsylvania, on 3 July 1887
- Dollie Hoffer, signed on 21 July 1884
- Mazie F. Hoffer, signed 26 July 1884
- Christiana Kemper, signed on 9 July 1884
- Miss Martha E. Kutman, signed 14 January 1885 at Carlisle, Pennsylvania
- Simon C. McCoy, signed on 23 May 1884
- Annie F. Neibert of Carlisle, Pennsylvania, signed on 14 May 1884
- Alice M. Neibert, signed at Carlisle, Pennsylvania, on "May 2-17-1884"
- Ida E. Neibert, signed 17 May 1884
- Ellie Rinehart, signed on 11 February 1885
- Martha E. Shulenberger, signed at Carlisle, Pennsylvania, on 4 June 1887
- Emma F. Sollenberger, signed at Carlisle, Pennsylvania, on 23 May 1886
- Sarah A. Sollenberger, signed at Carlisle, Pennsylvania, on 23 May 1886
- William S. Sponsler, signed at Stony Ridge
- J. M. Sponsler
- Katie Sponsler, signed on 16 August 1884; she affixed a Victorian scrap
- Annie Stouffer, signed at New Kingston, Pennsylvania, on 25 October 1884
- Sadie Swiler, signed 12 June 1884 at Carlisle, Pennsylvania; she signed the facing page on 11 June 1884; she signed the facing page as well, on 11 June 1884
- Maggie F. Swiler, signed on 14 June 1884 at Carlisle, Pennsylvania
- Mary M. Wert, signed 25 August 1887
- Mrs. S. Wert
- Susan J. West
- Susie Wonders, signed 19 May 1884 at Carlisle, Pennsylvania