Thursday, June 27, 2013

Photograph of Two Year old Twins Lucien Robert Algee & Mary Ella Algee at Anniston, Alabama


April 1912 photograph of twins Lucien Robert Algee and Mary Ella Algee of Anniston, Alabama.

I'm not sure how a Mainer came to acquire this photograph, but it's interesting to note that Mary Ella (Algee) Smith was living at Bangor, Maine, along with her widowed father, when her father died in May 1868.



From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections and additions welcome]

Lucien Robert Algee and Mary Ella Algee were born 3 January 1910 at, I think, Birmingham or Carrollton, Alabama, the children of Robert DeKalb Algee and Louella (Curry) Algee.

Lucien married Martha Frances McGeehee in 1939.  From a photograph on a family tree online, I learned that he served in the Navy during World War II.  I believe he eventually moved to Nashville, Tennessee; he died in 1980.

In the 1940 Census of Birmingham, Alabama, Mary Ella Algee was still unmarried, living with her parents and working at an intriguing job as publicity for a concert tour.  I'm sure there's an interesting story of how she came to meet her future husband, Mr. Smith, and eventually move to Bangor, Maine.

If you have corrections to the information above or additional information on the Algee family, please leave a comment or contact me directly.  Thanks!

Birmingham, Alabama


View Larger Map


Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. Lucian Algee is my grandfather. His twin, Mary Ella, married and lived most of her adult life in Maine. I'm not sure how she met her husband, but my mother may know. I'd love to know how you found this picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to take so long answering your comment - just noticed it when the son of one of the children contacted me. Probably found it in an antique shop or auction near Bangor, Maine, but I don't know exactly where.

      Delete
    2. OK ladies, I posted the photo onto Ancestry just now, along with the photo of little Algee's grandmother. I wish that more of my Hollaway and Pearson relatives in Sumter County, Alabama had photos other than those that burned up in this fire or that fire decades ago. Have a good holiday weekend.--Chelsea Jackson

      Delete
  2. I have a photo of Lucian Algee, taken on March 3rd, 1900, and its back reads that he was born on September 13, 1883. It was near a photo of a really old lady and it's captioned "Your Algee grandmother." THEY were near photos taken by "Sanborn" of 50 Merrimack Street and "George C. Gilchrest" of 92 Merrimac Street, Lowell, MA. I found them last month in a tiny "antique" store b/w Fairburn, GA and wherever last month's state tech fair was. Miss Jana, I'll try to scan them for you to see soon. It would be easier for me to put them on ancestry.com though. I'm so glad that someone wrote their names on the back! I have no clues about the little girl whom "Sanborn" photographed is OR who P.T. Hutchinson from the "Gilchrest" photo are. --Chelsea Jackson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it seems that the child Lucien in the photograph was named after his uncle. And the photos taken in New Hampshire and Massachusetts makes more sense for the photo above to have ended up in Maine. Thanks, Chelsea!

      Delete