Large autograph album given to Elora Mabel Hammond of Hampden, Maine on Christmas Day, December 25, 1890. She went by the name "Mabel".
The album is approximately 9-1/4" x 7" with padded covers and contains twelve pages of sentiments of Mabel's relatives, friends, schoolmates and teachers. An alphabetical list of the signers appears at the end of this post.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections and additions welcome!]
Elora Mabel Hammond was born 9 June 1873 at Hampden, Maine, the daughter of William and Jane E. (Mayo) Hammond. I believe the Jennie E. Hammond who signed a page at Hampden, Maine, on January 6, 1891 was Mabel's mother Jane E. (Mayo) Hammond.
Mabel's older sister Elonia A. Hammond of Hampden, Maine, signed a page on December 28, 1890.
On 9 December 1884 at Hampden, Maine, Elora Mabel Hammond married John Edwin Henry, son of Nelson Dyer Henry and his first wife, Ruth (Marks) Henry. John was born about December 1871 in Canada, though his Maine marriage record gives his place of birth as Bangor, Maine.
I found the same situation with his parents and siblings, with birth places as varied as Bangor, Maine; St. George, New Brunswick; Saint John, New Brunswick; and Grand Manan Island. The family had apparently moved to the Bangor area, perhaps at Hermon, Maine, by about 1873.
John and Mabel lived at Hampden, Maine, where John was listed as a farmer in the 1900 Census. Sadly, John died 11 March 1907, leaving Mabel with, I think, six children.
Elora Mabel (Hammond) Henry died in 1956 at Bangor, Maine.
If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, or information of any of the signers listed below, please leave a comment or contact me directly. Thanks!
Among the signers were Samuel Jackson Redman and his wife, who signed facing pages at Hampden, Maine, on December 21, 1891.
Samuel Jackson Redman started out as a teacher in the Hampden area and then a superintendent, before deciding on a medical career and practice at Dexter, Maine. He's mentioned in an 1889/1890 Hampden, Maine, Annual Report, in the School Report section.
The Abbott Memorial Library at Dexter, Maine, has his 1939 obituary online.
List of signers: [Note: given names within a specific surname may not be in alphabetical order.]
- Harry Butler of Hampden, Maine, signed at Hampden Academy in the Spring of 1891
- Annie L. Eveleth of Hampden, Maine, signed on May 16, 1891. Born about May 1872, daughter of Joseph C. and Rebecca K. (Gould) Eveleth. Sister of signer Ella Mary (Eveleth) Temple.
- Dora M. Gould of Milo, Maine, signed on Hampden, Maine, on May 22, 1891; born about 1852, daughter of Ebenezer H. and Sophie Gould
- Album owner Mabel Hammond of Hampden, Maine, signed on December 25, 1890. She was Flora Mabel Hammond, daughter of William and Jane (Mayo) Hammond
- Elonia A. Hammond of Hampden, Maine, signed on December 28, 1890. She was the older sister of album owner, Flora Mabel Hammond
- Jennie E. Hammond of Hampden, Maine, signed on January 6, 1891; presumably Jane E. (Mayo) Hammond, Flora Mabel Hammond's mother
- Walter Reid Hunt of Bangor, Maine, signed on May 20, 1891 at Hampden Academy
- C. A. Miller of Hampden Corner, Maine, signed at Hampden Academy on May 20, 1891
- S. J. Redman of Hampden, Maine, signed on December 21, 1891. I believe this was Dr. Samuel Jackson Redman, who was an educator and school superintendent at Hampden, Maine, before turning to a medical career at Dexter, Maine. His wife, Bertha M. (Varney) Redman, whom he married on May 30, 1889, signed the right facing facing page.
- Mrs. S. J. Redman of Hampden, Maine, signed on December 21, 1891. Her husband signed the left facing page.
- J. A. Snow of Hampden Corner, Maine, signed on January 14, 1891
- Ella Eveleth Temple, signed at Hampden, Maine, on June 22, 1891. Ella Mary (Eveleth) Temple, daughter of Joseph C. and Rebecca K. (Gould) Eveleth and wife of Jacob C. Temple. She was the sister to signer Annie L. Eveleth.
- S. Beck Whitney of North Newburgh, Maine, signed at Hampden Academy on May 19, 1891. She may have been Sarah Rebecca Whitney, who married Ernest F. Reed of Levant, Maine.