Autograph album presented to student Harry Lewis of Springfield, Maine, by Ernest H. Pratt, for Harry's "excellent work done in his spelling class."
The album is missing its covers and spine. The interior measures approximately 7-3/4" x 4-3/4" and contains 13 pages signed by Harry's relatives and friends, in addition to the page above.
Another post features the 1880s+ autograph album of Harry's older sister Lura Vella Lewis.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections and additions welcome!]
Harry Abner Lewis was born 8 November 1885 at Springfield, Maine, the son of Henry Blanchard Lewis and Florence Anna (Berry) Lewis.
Harry's sister Lura was long out of the household and married to Edward Whittier Deuplisea by the time of this album, but two of Harry's siblings signed pages. Albion Bayard Lewis of Caribou, Maine, signed a page on December 26, 1899.
Harry's sister Aria Estelle Lewis of Springfield, Maine, signed a page on "12-11-99".
Harry's aunt Lucy or Susie signed a page. Notice the reader's comment below that identifies Aunt Susie as Helena Estelle Lewis, nicknamed "Susie."
On 9 December 1905 at Springfield, Maine, Maine, Harry Abner Lewis married Anna Louise Ardron, daughter of Joseph and Edith Amanda (Averill) Ardron. Anna Louise was born in the Dakota Territories on 25 October 1887.
Harry and Anna Louise farmed at Springfield, Maine. They raised, I believe, 7 children, all but one of whom, according to information I found online, graduated from the University of Maine.
Harry died in 1976.
If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, or information on any of the signers below, please leave a comment or contact me directly. Thanks!
List of signers: [Note: given names within a specific surname may not be in alphabetical order.]
- Aunt Lucie or Aunt Susie
- Idona M. Cole of Springfield, Maine, signed on November 12, 1897 [She also signed in Harry's sister Lura's album.]
- David E. Grindell of Lakeville, Maine, signed on 2-9-1902
- Florence E. Hanscom of Lakeville, Maine, signed on December 26, 1899
- Presented to Harry Lewis for excellent work done in his spelling class during the term closing February 7th, 1896. Ernest H. Pratt
- Albion Lewis of Caribou, Maine, signed on December 26, 1899. Harry's "loving brother" Albion Bayard Lewis
- Aria E. Lewis of Springfield, Maine, signed on 12-11-99. She was Aria Estelle Lewis, Harry's older sister.
- Lula Lombard of Springfield, Maine, signed on November 12, 1897
- Flora A. Mason of Milford, New Hampshire, signed on November 12, 1897
- Ernest H. Pratt; he presented the album to Harry Lewis for excellence in his spelling work, on February 7, 1896
- Emma A. Snow
- Anna J. Snow, signed on August 24, 1896; perhaps Anna Josephine Snow, born 24 March 1885 at Winn, Maine
- Madge Weick of Springfield, Maine, signed on November 12, 1897
- Percy F. Williams of Fairfield, Maine, signed on 11-12-97