This is an unusual album in that the pages contains entries from the 1880s and 1890, with even more just from the year 1954, as if the album was rediscovered in 1954 and offered up again for inscriptions, presumably by its original owner.
The contrast in entries is interesting. The later entries sparkle with the signers' regard for the album owner, Elizabeth Bean (Calderwood) Carter, also known as "Lizzie", "Nanny Carter" and "Aunt Tute". Whether she was the original owner of the album or not, I don't know, but it seems likely.
The inside front cover used to have a newspaper clipping pinned to it. As it turns out, there is a clipping inside the album that fits the dimensions of the stain mark perfectly and has a couple pin holes, so I imagine this was the clipping that was so dear to the album owner's heart.
The album measures approximately 5-1/2" x 3-1/4" and contains the sentiments of over 60 people. An alphabetical list of the signers appears at the end of this post.
From online research, hopefullly correct: [corrections and additions welcome!]
Elizabeth Bean Calderwood, "Lizzie", "Nanny Carter" and "Aunt Tute", was born 9 June 1872 at North Haven, Maine, the daughter of Benjamin Crabtree Calderwood and Phoebe Jane (Pettee) Calderwood. Lizzie was raised on North Haven Island.
Even though it's one of the later entries, where I have some privacy concerns, I couldn't resist showing you this endearing page penned by Lizzie's younger sister, Lena Bell (Calderwood) Ring.
Martin S. Howes, pastor of the Baptist Church at North Haven Island, signed a page on June 20, 1885.
Addie L. Howes of Augusta, Maine, signed a page at Pulpit Harbor on June 20, 1889.
Fred C. Witherspoon of Pulpit Harbor, Maine, signed a page on November 18, 1889. According to the Thurston Genealogies, Fred Carrol Witherspoon was born 26 December 1880 at Pulpit Harbor, the son of James Carrol Witherspoon and Zoe Georgietta (Young) Witherspoon. In 1874, in what must have been an unusually cold year, Fred's parents and his mother's uncle, William Thurston of Rockport, walked across the ice to the mainland, a distance of twenty miles. "Etta" was the first woman known to do so.
Louie Witherspoon of Pulpit Harbor also signed a page on November 18, 1889. The signer may have been Fred's older sister Lunetta Frances Witherspoon. She was born November 24, 1875.
Angie A. Carver signed at page at Pulpit Harbor on October 13. She didn't specify a year, but she was one of the earlier signers. Interestingly, in 1954 Angie's married daughter found the left facing page to Angie's open, and signed it herself, mentioning that she was Angie's daughter. Angie married Allen V. Sawyer of North Haven in 1893, and their daughter would be born after they moved to Bath, Maine.
Emma P. Goodrich of Oakland, Maine, signed a page at Oakland High School on September 6, 1889. Was Elizabeth Bean Calderwood perhaps a teacher at Oakland for a time?
Lottie M. Babbidge signed a page on October 8, 1890.
W. A. Atchley of Catlettsburg, Tennessee inscribed a page on January 5, 1888.
Although undated, I believe the page below, beautifully sketched by B. F. Bickum of Haverhill, Massachusetts, was from the earlier era of the autographs. There was a Benjamin Franklin Bickum of Haverhill, who was born in 1843 and died in 1914.
On 25 November 1897 at Rockland, Maine, Lizzie married widower George A. Carter, son of Joseph O. Carter and Rosanna (Burrows or Burroughs) Carter. George was a butcher. I know they had at least one child, a son Almon, who wrote lovingly of his mother, "Nanny Carter", in one of the 1954 entries.
George and Lizzie lived in the highlands of Rockland near Dodges Mountain, as one of the later entries implied with a sketch.
Here's Dodge Mountain Road in Rockland.
View Larger Map
Here are a few examples of the 1954 pages inscribed by people who gave only their given name.
Nellie B. signed a page.
Harry inscribed a page to "Aunt Tute" on March 20, 1954.
The Boy from Staten Island inscribed a page to Aunt Tute on July 30, 1954.
Maria signed a page in 1954.
If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, or information on any of the signers listed below, please leave a comment or contact me directly. Thanks!
List of signers: [Note: given names within a specific surname may not be in alphabetical order.]
- Nellie B.
- Harry, inscribed a page to Aunt Tute on March 20, 1954.
- The boy from Staten Island, to Aunt Tute, signed on July 30, 1954
- Maria, signed in 1954. Inscribed to "Aunt Tute"
- Don. He didn't give a last name but implied that he lived in Bath, Maine. He drew a wonderful sketch of Lizzie's farm buildings at Dodge's Mountain in the "Highlands of Rockland"
- Jennie, signed on July 23, 1954; Lizzie's niece
- Fred Alexander, your friend
- W. A. Atchley of Catlettsburg, Tennessee, signed on January 5, 1888
- Judith Athearn, signed on October 28, 1954; Lizzie's neighbor
- Lottie W. Babbidge, signed on October 8, 1890
- Annie U. Beverage, signed on October 20, 1954 "Born June 9, 1862". She was Anne Ursula (Leadbetter) Beverage of North Haven, Maine, widow of Charles Beverage
- Frank Beverage, signed at North Haven, Maine, on July 19, 1954. "Born 1861, January 14. 93 years old. With very best wishes. Frank Beverage"
- Etta Fall Beverage of North Haven, Maine, signed on July 19, 1954; Lizzie's niece
- Anna A. Beverage; shared the page with Arthur Beverage
- Arthur Beverage; shared the page with Anna A. Beverage
- B. F. Bickum of Haverhill, Massachusetts
- A. W. Burton, signed on the last day of the year 1887
- Anita Carroll, signed on October 28, 1954; Lizzie's neighbor
- Elizabeth Bean (Calderwood) Carter; album owner. The earlier autographs were collected before her marriage in 1897
- Almon Calderwood Carter, son of Elizabeth Bean (Calderwood) Carter, album owner
- H. M. Carter, Jr.
- Meal; Lizzie's daughter-in-law. She was Amelia Grace (Staples) Carter, wife of Lizzie's son Almon Calderwood Carter
- Donald Carter, Lizzie's grandson; shared the page with Cynthia J. Carter, Lizzie's great granddaughter
- Cynthia J. Carter, Lizzie's great granddaughter; shared the page with Donald Carter
- Donald Carter, signed on April 26, 1954; Lizzie's great grandson
- Angie A. Carver, signed at Pulpit Harbor, Maine, on October 13 [no year written, but this was one of the pages signed in the early years of the album.]
- Emma P. Goodrich of Oakland, Maine, signed at O.H.S., on September 6, 1889.
- Mark H. Hayes
- Helen L. Hayes, inscribed to Tuti-Fruti, the Grand Old Gal, on January 7, 1954
- Gerry S. Hayes, signed on July 31, 1954. "Toot, Toot, Here Comes Aunt Tute"
- Catharine G. Hayes, to "Aunt Tute"
- Blanche Hewitt, signed on January 19, 1954.
- Martin S. Howes, Pastor of Baptist Church, North Haven, Maine, signed on June 20, 1885
- Addie L. Howes of Augusta, Maine, signed at Pulpit Harbor on June 20, 1889
- John Kaler; shared the page with Lil Kaler
- Lil Kaler; shared the page with John Kaler
- Meredith Kaler of Bath, Maine
- Jimmy Kaler.
- Rhea W. Kimble, signed on January 19, 1954.
- H. Alton Lewis, signed on July 22, 1954.
- Alice Litchfield, inscribed to "our dear Tutie"; shared page with Harry Litchfield
- Harry Litchfield, inscribed to "our dear Tutie"; shared page with Alice Litchfield
- Ruth C. Low, signed on April 26, 1954; "your loving Granddaughter"
- Karl Low, signed on April 26, 1954, "Your Great Grandson. I Love You. Karl Low. Shared a page with Stanley S. Low
- Stanley S. Low., signed on April 26, 1954 "To Nanny, your Great Grandson, Stanley S. Low". Shared a page with Karl Low
- Bernice McGlinchey, signed on January 9, 1954 "daughter of Angie. Sincerely."
- Page signed by two children [with help in at least one case], on April 4, 1954: 1) Paul Wayne Munro, age 7; (shared page with Mark Alan Munro)
- Page signed by two children [with help in at least one case], on April 4, 1954: 1) Mark Alan Munro, age 3; (shared page with Paul Wayne Munro)
- Jeannette E. Munro, signed on April 4, 1954
- Ralph F. Munro of 18 Glen Street, Rockland, Maine
- Herbert R. Peat
- Lena B., January 6, 1954; Lizzie's sister; wonderful entry. Lena Bell Calderwood married Harry Everett Ring
- Dennis Manners Ring of Bath, Maine
- Joyce E. Ring, signed on January 29, 1954
- Paul Ring, signed on February 15, 1954
- "Bea" Ring
- Nancy Katherine Ring
- Reuben Shaw of Belfast, Maine, signed October 9, 1889
- Harold T. Stanton, signed on January 22, 1954; not sure of middle initial. Harold sketched a lighthouse and sailboat, with a bright sun.
- Ruth C. Taylor, signed on January 17, 1954
- Frank W. Waterman of North Haven, Maine
- Fred C. Witherspoon of Pulpit Harbor, Maine, signed on November 18, 1889
- Louie Witherspoon of Pulpit Harbor, Maine, signed on November 18, 1889