1880s autograph album that belonged to a Carrie, possibly Carrie Schneider; later autographs from her children identify her as the Carrie who married Antoine Wheeler of Vermont, New York and Rhode Island.
The album is missing some pages at the front, including a title page and any page that might have had Carrie's full name on it.
The album is approximately 7" x 4-1/4" and contains the names of 32 of Carrie's friends and relatives; her children signed multiple pages. An alphabetical list of the signers appears at the end of this post.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections and additions welcome!]
Carrie was born about 1862 in Germany and came to the United States, presumably with her family, a couple years later or so.
She married Antoine Wheeler about 1887. Antoine, the son of cabinet maker Antoine Wheeler and Elmira (Charron or Nairborne) Wheeler, was born 1863 in Vermont. His parents moved to Hamilton, New York, because of the educational opportunities there for their children. Elmira was widowed when she still had young children and managed to raise her children through sheer hard work, according to a reminiscence on an online tree. Two of her children died young in accidents, one from being kicked by a horse and the other from a gunshot.
Children of Antoine and Carrie (Schneider) Wheeler, I think:
- Herbert, born about 1889; died about 1901
- Agnes P., born about about June 1892
- Zoe Valeria, born about 1893
- Elma Dorothy, born about March 1895
- William, born about 1896
- Carrie M., born about January 1898
- Charles Henry, born 14 November 1900
Carrie and Antoine and children were living at Smyrna Village, New York at the time of the enumeration of the 1900 Census. Antoine was working as a day laborer.
By 1910, the family was living at Richmond, Rhode Island, with the addition of son Henry. Antoine was working as a wagon driver. By this time, Herbert had died, and Agnes was not listed in the household.
By 1920, Antoine, Carrie and son Henry were living at Hopkinton, Rhode Island, where they were running a farm. Antoine was listed as a pedlar in the 1925 Rhode Island Census of Hopkinton.
Antoine died at some point before 1935, when the Rhode Island Census of Hopkinton lists just Carrie. By 1940, Carrie was living at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, with her son William, as shown in the 1940 Census.
A few examples of the earlier autographs, collected before Carrie's marriage to Antoine Wheeler:
Michael Comiskey of Troy, New York, signed a page on January 12, 1884.
Ida A. Kelley of Ansonia, Connecticut, signed a page on May 23, 1884, at Troy, New York.
Maggie D. Martin of Fonda, New York, signed a page on August 27, 1885.
Kate M. Schuyler signed a page at Hickory House, Fonda, New York,
on August 23, 1885.
Apparently the album came to light again in after 1900 and was signed by several of Carrie's children, some multiple times. Daughter Elma signed a page on November 11, 1906.
Daughter Merrie Wheeler signed a page on December 28, 1909, and another on December 28, 1909. I'm not sure which of the children was nicknamed Merrie, possibly
Daughter Carrie Wheeler signed a page at Wyoming, Rhode Island, on October 6, 1905.
There are other pages obviously signed by children but unsigned.
If you have corrections and/or additions to the information above, or information on any of the signers listed below, please leave a comment or contact me directly. Thanks!
- Schneider (possibly)
List of signers: [Note: given names within a specific surname may not be in alphabetical order.]
- Annie, signed at Troy, New York, on October 14, 1881
- Winnie of Troy, New York, signed on August 26, 1881
- M. L. M., signed at Troy, New York, on February 18, 1885
- Martha, signed on May 25, 1882
- A. N. T., signed at Troy, New York, on October 29, 1883
- Michael Comiskey of Troy, New York, signed on January 12, 1884
- H. H. Darrow, signed at New York, on December 22, 1885; signed two pages
- Eliza Downey
- Evie Evans, signed at Troy, New York, on April 29, 1883
- L. Kammer
- Ida A. Kelley of Ansonia, Connecticut, signed at Troy, New York, on May 23, 1884
- Mattie Main, signed on May 1, 1882
- Maggie D. Martin, signed at Fonda, New York, on August 27, 1885
- Jenny B. Martin, signed at Fonda, New York, on August 27, 1885
- Mrs. Benjamin S. Martin, signed at Amsterdam, New York, on August 29, 1885
- Rachel S. Martin of Fonda, New York, signed on August 27, 1885
- Mary Mink of Lansingburgh, New York, signed on May 16, 1882
- Name is possibly F. Parker
- Kate M. Schuyler, signed at Hickory House, Fonda, New York, on August 23, 1885
- Gertie L. Schuyler of Fonda, New York, signed on August 23, 1885
- Richard A. Schuyler of Fonda, New York, signed on August 27, 1885
- Nellie Slater, signed at Troy, New York, on April 4, 1883
- Rosa F. Swink, signed at Troy, New York, on May 2, 1882
- Lettie Welsh, signed on September 1, 1884
- Carrie (Schneider) Wheeler, album owner
- Elma Wheeler, signed on November 1, 1906; Carrie's daughter Elma Dorothy Wheeler
- Merrie Wheeler, signed on December 28, 1909; Carrie's daughter
- Carrie's daughter, signed on March 16, 1910
- Carrie Wheeler, signed at Wyoming, Rhode Island, on October 6, 1905; Carrie's daughter