1905 graduation photograph of Florence Dombey Colwell, a student at Technical High School at Providence, Rhode Island.
The photograph itself is 4" x 3"; the entire piece is 10" x 7". It was found with 15 similar photographs of 7 young men and 8 other young women. Most, if not all, of the photographs were taken by the Edgar K. Horton studio of Providence.
A list of the people in the photographs appears at the end of this post.
From online research, hopefully correct: [corrections welcome!]
Florence Dombey Colwell was born 29 May 1885 at Providence, Rhode Island, the daughter of Wilmarth Hannah Colwell and Ida F. (Horton) Colwell, who were born at Cranston, Rhode Island, and Providence, Rhode Island, respectively.
At the time of the 1910 Census, Florence was living with her widowed mother at Providence and working as an enamel painter in a studio, perhaps her own studio. In 1920, she was living in a household headed by her brother Wilmarth Colwell, and working as a bookkeeper at a jewelry store.
On 16 September 1922, at Providence, Florence Dombey Colwell married Fayette Reade Eldredge, son of Gorham L. and Julia Etta (Dill) Eldredge. Fayette was born 11 August 1883 at Chatham, Massachusetts. He worked as a draftsman.
Census records show no children for the couple, though there may have been a child or children who didn't survive. The couple lived at Providence, Rhode Island, as late as 1942, when Fayette completed his World War II Draft Registration Card and indicated his employer was the General Fire Extinguisher Company.
Fayette died in 1950, and Florence in 1954. They're buried at Seaside Cemetery at Chatham, Massachusetts.
If you have corrections to the information above, or additions to it, please leave a comment or contact me directly. Thanks!
List of people in the 16 photographs
- Ethel B. Arnold, June 1905
- Rachel C. Arnold. T.H.S. 1905
- Ernest Spencer Calder, Tech 05, "Giles Corey"
- Mary Alice Carpenter, June 1905
- Jessie J. Colvin, T.H.S. '05
- Florence Dombey Colwell, Class of 1905, T.H.S.
- Edith M. Fairbrother, T.H.S. 1905
- Joseph Alfred Fallows, Tech. '05
- Farah C. Glynne, [not sure of this name], T.H.S. 1905
- Annie F. Goff, Class of 1905 [died 22 March 1909]
- Marjorie Goff, Christmas 1904
- George Gould, T.H.S. '05
- E. Grace Hartman, April 26, 1905
- Charles J. Martin, T.H.S. '05 [became noted artist Charles James Martin]
- Frank Bartlett McSoley, T.H.S. 1905
- Mancel Talcott, T.H.S. '05